For years, “aggressive” dog breeds like pit bulls, Staffordshire Terriers and Rottweilers were almost impossible to transport on flights given their stigma of hostility. So, is it possible to transport ‘aggressive’ breed dogs and if so, how do you do it?
First, there is a very important clarification to make: aggressive breeds and aggressive dogs are two entirely different things. Recently, the U.S. Department of Transportation issued a final statement saying that restrictions on service animals that come from traditionally aggressive breeds are prohibited. However, if the airline judges that the behavior of the individual animal is dangerous and thus poses a threat to the passengers, the airline can restrict service for the animal. The goal of the DOT is to ensure that air transportation is safe for everyone. Therefore, it’s important to be honest with yourself and ask the question, “will my dog act aggressively while on a flight?”
Since that disclaimer is now out of the way, here are the things you need to know before transporting your “aggressive breed” dog on an airplane:
- Many countries have banned the import of aggressive breeds of dogs, and their mixes. You should be aware of the dangerous dog policies in your destination country to see if your dog is approved to travel.
- When countries ban aggressive breeds, it also means that the airlines who serve those countries must ban the breeds on routes to that country.
- Know that, if your dog even resembles an aggressive breed or behaves in any way aggressively during the transportation process, there is a chance that your pet will not be accepted in the destination country.
- While the dog is traveling, consider carrying a muzzle with them, as many countries will require this while you are in public places.
- It’s also important to make sure you have the appropriate crate and accommodations to ensure that your pet is safe and comfortable.
- Note that In the event of extreme temperature, the airline will prevent animals from traveling in the cargo hold.
As you can see, there are quite a few hoops to jump through when transporting your furry friend, regardless if it’s an aggressive breed or not. If you don’t want to deal with the headache of navigating the rules and regulations, let Airpets America help you plan, prep, and transport your animals, so you can focus on getting the rest of your family ready to relocate. From pet air booking to ground transportation, Airpets America covers every aspect of your pet’s travel. Contact us today.