Simple tips to help your pup lose some of those holiday pounds!
Feed less. We know it’s hard but with a few changes you can both get through this.
Reduce the daily amount of food by a quarter. So if she normally gets one cup of food, now she gets 3/4 of a cup. You can add some broth or water to her food so she feels like she got a nice big meal.
Exchange those doggie treats for a game of fetch or tug. Usually just your attention can be a huge reward.
When you do feed her a little treat, try to feed a carrot or green beans instead of a high calorie treat.
Exercise more. For a lot of dogs a walk is not enough though it’s a good start.
- Bring your pup in for doggie day camp a couple times a week.
- Play fetch with her while you read or watch TV.
- Arrange a dog play date with a friend.
- Enroll in a dog class (a fun dog sport like agility or even a manners class).
- Include your dog in weekend activities, instead of her sleeping all weekend. Take her to the ball park, go on a trail walk, keep her engaged in some activity.
- Teach your dog a few games like hide and seek (human or a toy can hide), the recall game (two family member stand apart and call the dog back and forth), fetch, etc.